Friday, April 06, 2007

Would you believe April flurries?

The first time I experienced snow was in the S-Klein parking lot in Langley Park, MD. Having just moved to America with my family I was as popeyed to my new surroundings as any 5 year-old. It must have been late fall for I don't recall the heft of a winter coat nor had my hands ever experienced the cloak of gloves. My dad and an uncle had just purchased an item from the psuedo low-end discount mart. As we were about to step into Dad's 1963 moss green Chevy convertible with beige canvas top I noticed a peculair occurance. Bits of paper were falling from the sky. "Dad," I exclaimed, "who's throwing paper from the roof?" Chuckling Dad announced, "It's snow!" Well if the roof hadn't already fallen it did then. What a treat that ephemeral white fluff.

Although I love snow, especially when romping in its chillen glory with Duke I wasn't loving it today when it materialized in whirling dervish of a cloud. While waiting for the 5:17 train. Did I mention it descended on a vicious wind swarming over my thin Easter jacket and oncovered head? The upper northeast got clobbered, wacked by a spring storm. I highly doubt any kids rejoiced. I watched a gaggle of ducks furiously quacking to each other. They must have been saying - you said it was time to come back North. What's the deal? This has become a grim reminder that sins upon the planet must be redeemed.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, comprised of international scientists, issued a dire report that confirms the world’s climate is warming, human activities have contributed significantly and the trend will “continue for centuries.” Finally, indisputable authority from the experts. Not everyone accepts this news with cries of woe is this world, what are we to do. The publication of the report was marred in its entirety by requests from diplomatic delegates from China, Saudi Arabia and guess who? United States who requested that the harsh language be toned down to less punitive terms.

While Greenpeace said "This is a glimpse into an apocalyptic future," conservative organizations like myheritage.org spew affronted stories claiming to debunk Global Warming. What punishment should be meted out to folks who stubbornly cling to the Republican rhetoric that none of this means anything? And if it did it certainly wouldn't mean a decrease in driving their sleek gas guzzling car or lowering there thermostat to conserve oil. Or should we allow them to escalate the downfall of mankind for yet another era?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The snowfall experienced yesterday reminded to expect the unexpected : ) How boring would a world be if everthing went according to plan? Yes, our lives might be easier, but would we appreciate it as much?