Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Holiday of Excellent Excess



Thanksgiving has always possessed special significance for me since it falls close to my birthday. Special means while the family gathers for the 3 - 4 Thanksgiving functions, my birthday is always cause for celebration. Now you ask, why would you have so many Thanksgiving dinners? Silly, so that all the members who arrive from out of town can congregate at Aunty Ardys' one day and Aunty Lilly's the next.

This year was no exception, delightful chow at Aunty Edna's for the big turkeyday fest. And yes, we did have a turkey, currified and delish along with spinach balls and divine coconut rice. Matter of fact, so much did I partake that all I could manage that evening was a Telegu movie with the parents, the names of the actors I can't remember but it did feature 2 young kids - Siddhu and Hasini gamboling in a modern Hydrabad Romeo and Juliet.

Friday was devoted to shopping - cashmere cardigan, blue topaz ring and a stunning tri colored gold necklace compliments of Mom and Dad. But in the evening we hoofed it over to our favorite South American joint Azucar for Golden Margaritas (best in the DC area), fish stew, ceviche and the side salad for no reason but the tangy lime buttermilk dressing.

Saturday was lunch at Aunty Jaya's for sour rice littered with fried cashews and onions. Two types of gongera (a sour leaf much like spinach) curry - meat and vege and a glorious Oreo ice cream birthday cake. Hanging with my guy cozs Amit, Anup and Chinnie and running Duke ragged at the local Elementary School. Did my heart good to see him crashed on his bed half an hour later.

That evening, to further celebrate my birthday on Saturday, many of my cousins (12 to be precise) joined me for dinner at Rice on the very chicly renovated 14th Street. Dinner was followed by a live performance by my cousin Rekha at HR 57 . Tons of fun as Rekha fronted piano for her newly formed East Coast band to perform some original and her own jazz. A second chocolate mousse birthday cake was passed around to all the friends and family who joined the celebration.

Sunday was all about Mom. Crunchy dosas the size of tires accompanied by chutney compounded with tomatoes, chilies, onions, garlic, chana dahl and the skin shavings from a bitter gourd. Simply the best dosa and chutney you'll ever have. A chapatti or two thrown in with a brinjal mutton curry while sipping coffee. Raking the leaves (what else is a Rekha to do?) and then I was off with cousin Suj back to New York.

Long, delectable weekend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This entry could make my mouth water at any time of the day! The food and merriment could entice a saint off a fast without a second thought : )

Rekha Chedalavada said...

Thanks Lourdes, it really was a foodie weekend. Best of all, much of it was vegetarian! One day will have to treat you to a Telegu feast.

Nancy said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY !! (I'm sorry, I didn't know) Your holiday feast proved that sometimes it's GOOD to have a birthday near a holiday !!!