Friday, January 04, 2008

John117


I'm not a gamer nor have I ever claimed to be. So when Halo 3 launched this fall I viewed its debut with much the same enthusiasm as I would say, the latest Russell Crowe flick. But Thomas is a big Halo fan so it made a great Christmas present. He didn't get a chance to play it until New Years day, at which time he did what he always does with video games - played it till he beat it. What is up with guys and their voracity to play till the end, eh?

The other day he mentioned getting very little sleep the night before due to his disturbance over the Halo ending. Aha! I thought, for I had already heard the ending to Halo 3, [SPOILER ALERT] which results in the demise of the Master Chief. Matter of fact, my friend Lourdes told me she cried at the death of the Masterchief. Now there's attachment for you!

Thomas losing sleep is a very rare occurance so I decided to do a little digging. I found that Master Chief's real name is John117. Being a former Bible-toting girl the name evoked thoughts of the New Testament book of John, Chapter 1 verse 17. This is what it says:

"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last."

Now I am a big fan of omniscent statements scattered throughout the Bible. Matter of fact my first website, now defunct was titled Alpha and Omega in a Day. Giving the old carpe diem a slight twist. So I was delighted by the Master Chief's association with the book of John. But I thought back to Thomas' sleepless night and remembered that he commented on the AI Cube, muttering, 'who thought it would turn like that?' and 'can't trust artifical intelligence.'

Yes well that poses an interesting question. Could AI really kill John117? Apparently not for I've been informed that during the closing credits to Halo, the Master Chief escapes and places himself into self-imposed cyronic sleep saying: Wake me when you need me.

Something tells me he'll be needed in, oh, 2 years for Halo 4.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Personally, I'd like a Master Chief beside me every day I go to work : )