Friday, January 13, 2012

A Little Bit of Everything

I've heard this song on the radio before. No not Hot97. The only station playing it is 90.7, Fordham's independent WFUV and the best music in NYC. Quote me on that, go ahead. Check out their playlist. Better yet, listen live. At first I thought I was hearing new Jackson Brown. Not. It's an LA band called Dawes.

Apparently Robbie Robertson uses them as his backup band. Their sound is called Laurel Canyon influenced by Crosby Stills Nash, and so on. Frankly who cares? Any band who sings about the death of their first dog. About mashed potatoes and biscuits. About a bride deluding herself into marriage. About the red moon when it's full...And the vocals, well if you feel like you're listening to Jackson Brown you're not crazy. The slide guitar is even compared to David Lindley's. Remember that on The Loadout? No fooling, it's so reminiscent it's eerie. But also sweet in its tribute.

Last year I was enamoured with the Broken Bells. Still digging them but this year has a more light-hearted feel and therefore a more fitting soundtrack. It better.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

No comments: