Monday, March 31, 2008

Artistic Elephant


Those of you who know me well know I have a thing for elephants. Love them for their complex martriarchal social structure. For their emotional capacity (they mourn still births). For their memory capacity (bones of long dead elephants evoke memories). For the symbolism they evoke in history and in ancient religions.

I rode an elephant in an Indian zoo when I was a wee little lass. Sadly, that is the closest I've been to one in my life. More's the pity as elegant creatures could teach us a good deal about motherhood, parenting, complex societies, and now art! That's right, an amazing video surfaced on uTube of an elephant painting a self portrait.

Yes, I am a sap for dogs and penguins and the occasional Tasmanian Devil. But these creatures are remarkable in their temperament, social skills, and dare I say it, in their humanity as this video vividly demonstrates. You can purchase an elephant painting at Exotic World Gifts

No comments: