Friday, May 25, 2007

Star Wars Turns 30


A long time ago in a state far, far away, I hated science fiction. But my big brother, a saint of a guy by any means, dragged me kicking and screaming to watch a movie called Star Wars. Wha? Ick. I don't want to watch cold science stuff. Luckily, he wasn't deterred and forced me to sit through the mind boggling experience. Well, you know how this story ends. I'm a hard-core convert, sharing my experiences and theorems on this epic saga of a heroes journey. Matter of fact, after viewing the movie my perception of God altered dramatically. The Judeo-Christian God of Moses, Abraham and Solomon was replaced by a more expansive entity that perceived the world in shades of gray, not good and evil, not black and white. I was so moved by the revelation of a Force that governs the universe that I wrote to head Pastor Londis of the Sligo Seventh Day Adventist Church in Takoma Park, MD to share my new views.

This weekend Star Wars celebrates turning 30. Celebrates influencing not only a entire generation but a fickle movie industry. A plethora of specials celebrating this fete are being broadcast. The History Channel will debut a documentary "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed." Cinemax will play all 6 episodes tonight! Apparently Hasbro has created 30 year anniversary action figures for the ocassion. Quick, somebody get me Hans Solo frozen in carbonite. Check out the Star Wars interactive quiz to test your knowledge. Beware, it's not for sissy Jedites. I scored a measley "Padawan Learner" level for my efforts. Finally, for some fun check out the now defunct but hilarious blog by Jedi Master Yoda.

No comments: