Monday, May 18, 2009

The God Daughter

About a year ago I blogged on the magical conception and birthing of my neice - Sophia. Here she is a year later, green-gray eyes! hair now curly and 6 teeth and counting. Her mother strongly believes in bonding her to her fairy Godmothers so they both visited for a weekend. Here's a rundown of events.

Friday night: After 6 hours of driving in traffic the girls arrive at 11:00 pm. Duke slobbers over Sophia (or was it the other way around?) and after a few minutes of playtime she's ready for a nap.

Saturday: Sophia sleeps in till 7:30! We eat bagels and while I run errands Sophia takes a nice long nap. We take Duke and Sophia to the park and wear both of them out with an hour's walk. Sophia naps while Radha and I sip cocktails and have some adult time. All three of us girls dress for dinner and head over to La Cibeles. We are met by all the male waiters who are utterly charmed by Sophia. She spends a few quality minutes with each of them, blaring her green eyes to the helpless males. Our friend Barb & Lou join us for dinner and are convinced Sophia looks just like Halle Berry's daughter Nahla. After grawing on a few chicken fingers she falls promptly asleep until we get home.

At home I spread a deck of cards in front of her (the very same ones I read for her mother 2 years ago). She picks 6 cards so I spread the core of a Celtic Cross for her. Not surprisingly, she is one mighty woman, old souled and with a destiny as majestic as it is beautiful. Every woman should have a destiny as promising. And I must say, every woman does if she chooses.

Sunday: Radha makes us Crab Cakes Benedict. Yuuuummmm! But Sophia, on the brink of welcoming new teeth has decided New Jersey is just not fun anymore. Radha packs them up and off they head back to Maryland. As I tidy the house I find one lone booty sock on guest bedroom floor. All the remains of my God Daughter's visit.

No comments: