Monday, December 03, 2007

The God Within

The frigid temps, early snow and blustery wind had me huddling in my bed yesterday with a small dog seeking refuge under warm down covers. It was a day that my friend Lourdes and I agreed upon - melancholic. But sometimes you need to reach blue depths in order to sustain those flights into the stratosphere.

Reminds me of one of the inspiring lines from Elizabeth Gilbert's book - Eat, Pray, Love. In it she describes a simple mantra: Om Namah Shivaya which translates to "I honor the Divinity Within Me". What could be simpler or more powerful? Funny thing about meditation. The act itself of stilling the mind brings about the exact result that one is usually seeking. In my case, respite from the scatty, bratty thoughts roaming my mind. A cease fire or sorts that allows purity of focus. Ah, could there be such a thing? There could and is. It just requires the removal of mental detritus to get there. And to remove gunk you've got to be very still, very quiet. Banish thoughts of what to wear tomorrow. Rid thoughts of what to prepare for dinner. Forget the dentist appointment. And finally it's there.

Om Namah Shivaya - try it sometime.

No comments: