Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Papa, do they recycle sneakers?

My 3 year-old pair of Nikes have bit the dust. Not only are they wornout and falling apart - think shinsplints, they emit a malodorous scent that delights the dog. Since I don't appreciate my old sneakers perched on the sofa with Duke's nose happily esconced within, time has come to dispose of them. But what happens to old sneakers? Surely they must take at least a millenium to decompose? As I commute by the Meadowlands landfill facility everyday, I hate to think I'm adding to the undegradable refuse. Luckily, several websites offer valuable material on sneaker disposal. Connecticut appears to be on the cutting edge of sneaker technology with the unlikely partner, Nike. Worn-out shoes are recycled into playground and athletic surfaces. Yes, that's what your kids are playing on. The National Recycling Coalition, est 1978 offers more information in their Reuse a Shoe program.

But sneakers are only the beginning. Check out these other
resources
on how to recycle cell phones, floppy discs, packing 'peanuts' and holiday cards. Now I gotta hook up my Mom with that one! If you want to go deeper, browse the Internet Consumer Recycling Guide.

So yes, they do recycle sneakers. Now if we could only do something about those poor horses.

1 comment:

DED said...

Thanks for posting this info. I wish that they'd gone with quarterly pick ups for sneakers. I'm not sure that I can keep my dead sneakers around for 5 months.