Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Ravishing Raptors


Today PBS debuted a special titled Nature: Raptor Force. Sounds like a military type of show but happily it's not. It's the study of the aeronautic capabilities of those magnificent birds of prey labeled raptors - Hawks, Eagles, Falcons, Owls. The birds themselves are gorgeous - sleek heads, keen large eyes, perfectly sharpened and groomed talons and beak, wings that can reach spans exceeding 6 feet.

While I've seen Turkey Buzzards circling the Turnpike, I've never had the pleasure of watching the fastest creature on earth in action. Recorded at the speed of 242 miles per hour, (wrap your head around that!) the Peregrine Falcon is the most exquisite flying machine on earth. We've all heard about Pale Male and his perch on the upper East side. What I didn't know was that a pair of Peregrine's set up house atop of an office building in Jersey City. So you can imagine my surprise when, on my way to work I would pass by the shredded remains of pigeons. A beak here, a lacerated wing there, bone, feathers...Well you get the picture. This preceded the bird flu threat but I still notified the office maintenance folks. I mean how icky is it to have to view dismembered bird parts? Then a co-worker mentioned that a pair of Peregrine's were nesting atop the building and all became clear. At 30 stories, 101 Hudson Avenue in Jersey City used to carry the prestige of being the tallest building in New Jersey. This lasted until the 1990s when Paulus Hook, the once blue collar burg of Jersey City boomed into gentrified heaven.

It might not be the tallest building in New Jersey, but it's tall enough for the Peregrines who chose to roost in the ledges of skyscrapers and towers of suspension bridges. After discovery of the Peregrines, I've stopped worrying about the pigeons. Surely I do feel bad for their deaths. But what a glorious death! My only lament is that I have not viewed the Peregrine's in action.

PBS will be broadcasting the Raptor special again on Wed, February 21st.

My friend Andy Warren recently published a book of photography on this very superb creature. You can view his art and order it here.

Thanks to Ben for correcting me on Pale Male's location. Which is not CP South but 74th and 5th Ave.

2 comments:

Ben C. said...

Can you add the link to Andy Warren's photography?

Also a minor correction. Pale Male's nest is on 5th Ave. and 74th St. which is further north and east from the Red-tailed Hawk nest located on Central Park South which belongs to Pale Male Jr. and Charlotte.

All the best.

Rekha Chedalavada said...

Thanks for the notice Ben. I've uploaded the link to the Raptor photography book. I didn't realize Pale Male and Lola had progeny. Even more impressive. Thanks for the correction, will make note of it.