Friday, February 09, 2007

Enviro Corp Friendly

Not so happy these days with my company's environmental policy. While the company I work for shall go nameless, I will tell you that it goes by the acronym AIG. Big solid company with over a hundred years of history. 600 billion dollars in assets and a big ass Manchester United deal sucking up real estate on t-shirts, stadiums and publications everywhere.

One thing's got me peeved. I've been noticing something disturbing as I head for my cup of hot coffee in the morning (as I am want to do given the take-this!global-warming-winter-temperatures-of-15-below-zero). No it's not the coffee which is actually quite decently dispensed in individual quantities of java ranging from mild decaf to raging French roast. Nor is it the availabilty of thick creamy half and half, also available in the well stocked refrigerator. No, it's the manner of cups available to the employees. Not recycled paper, not even just paper but horror of horrors, it's styrofoam! Yes, it's true a global enterprise corporation dispenses an non-biodegradable material in mass quantities. Now I just happen to know that DOW is the company that created 'extruded polystyrene thermal insulation' aka the satanic material. So I checked to see if AIG happens to own DOW, which they do not. However, the kind folks at Wikipedia tell me that it can be recycled if it's labeled correctly. It not, it could take 1 to 100 years to decompose.

Ah, well that clears it all up.

So to prove my defiance at such a non green policy I've boycotted the evil extruded polystuffie. In lieu of contributing to New Jersey's finest landfills I've decided on a positive action. ok, so it's a soft action that consists of using my own ceramic mug for my coffee fix, and occassionally, hissing at unsuspecting folks that continue to fill the strofoam with the devils brew. It's worked pretty well thus far, swelling me with a sense of purpose as I sip my damn good cuppa joe out of my very own ceramic mug. Next I'm thinking of pouncing on the chick on the 6th floor, sporting a winter Lynx fur coal with a green Sharpie.

No comments: