Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Back in the old country

When my cousin Patty returned from Tanuku, India after teaching English to grade schoolers for a year what I remember most of her recollections is her commentary about trash. Basically, there isn't a trash can in the smaller, rural villages. Organic matter is composted, if paper is used, it's to write on and Bounty doesn't exist. Compare this with the 2 hefty bags of trash I easily generate on a weekly basis. And this is after recycling plastic, metal and even some organic matter to my compost heap.

What's more disturbing is the prevalence of refuse created by my parents, despite the fact that they used to live in the very same village mentioned above. What's happened? Does America foster a careless home disposal policy. Do people not care how their lifestyle effects nature and the flow of life in general? Of course they do. My parents are avid gardeners and revel in the cycle of soil to plant to plate and back to soil. I think it boils down to the predicament of unawareness. Folks aren't aware of the options for rubbish disposal, so they follow outworn methods that reinforces the problem of increasing garbage and dwindling land.

Here are a couple ways I've unearthed to combat the issue. They include composters, leaf suckers (not blowers!) and recycling tips. Send your own and I'll add to the post.

Composters: Costco has a pretty decent array of wood, plastic and metal composters.

Suction mulchers: Combines leaf blower, mulcher and a yard vacuum. Can't wait to try it!

Recycling: Some handy tips on recycling various plastics, metals and paper.

No comments: